A Break from It All

Today my earrings didn’t match. The right ear has a pink teardrop pendant lined in silver.  The left ear has a blue stone centered in a tiny silver leaf. It was not intentional. I laughed when I saw what I had done this morning in my rush to get to exercise class.

My sister needs fresh flowers. I tried to go to Costco yesterday afternoon along with everyone else in my town. People were fighting over parking spots. I sailed out of the parking lot and left. Not worth it.

My younger sister asked me to bring rolls to Thanksgiving dinner. No one is going to eat them. No one ever eats them. Even if they put them on their plates, they don’t touch the bread when there is so much other good stuff to eat.

Tonight my mom called and asked if I could go over and turn on the parade for my older sister in her care home. Actually, I can’t. I am not going over there at 9:00 a.m. Chances are she’ll be in the shower anyway. I will be cooking yams and maybe stuffing. My younger sister has promised gluten-free stuffing but it’s gluten-free. And it’s stuffing.  I know, right?

I fainted in chorus last week. I’m on antibiotics for a sinus infection. My head hurts all the time. If I had my druthers, I’d stay home on Thanksgiving, watch old movies and eat ramen noodles and pudding.

I used to be pretty good at juggling it all.

Last night I came home from chorus rehearsal where everyone had fainting jokes for me, and one guy said I was a gray as a cadaver being embalmed the week before. Thanks, Steve. I don’t really mind the ribbing. I am a celebrity now at chorus. Everybody wants to hold open the door for me.

As I turned at my street corner coming home from chorus last night, the stoplight was out. I noticed all the houses on the left side on my road had lights on. Al the houses on the right side of the street were dark. I crossed my fingers that I’d have power when I got home. I did have power, even though the clocks were flashing. No TV and no internet. Comcast was out.

My two dogs were both outside, drenched in our first rain since May. The black lab wouldn’t come in, not even for treats.  I had to block the dog door, put the choke chain on her and drag her inside. Then It took three beach towels to dry off the two dogs. How long had they been out there? I’d been gone for 2.5 hours.

I kept the dogs locked in for the night. I’ll never know what caused them to be spooked like that. The power going out? The lightning? The rain? Maybe they enjoyed being wet, I don’t know.

I drove to the drugstore tonight to get the meds that the care giver asked for. I stood in line behind three people and then was told there was no medicine. The doctor hadn’t renewed the prescription, even though I got a text from him saying that he had.

I got home and watched the tail end of the national news and ate my hot ramen noodles and took my Augmentin crushed into chocolate pudding.

Just proofreading this makes me tired.  I need a break from it all.

Hopefully tomorrow’s earrings will match, the dogs will stay dry, and the stuffing will be better than expected.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s